Flint’s successful Community Education model is back! Designed to meet the needs of today’s families, students, and residents. Flint’s Community Education Initiative offers key services and resources in Flint, allowing schools to once again become the hub of neighborhoods. Programs and services are located at all Flint Community Schools and International Academy of Flint. Check out a school close to you to get involved!
The Crim Fitness Foundation serves as the lead agency to implement Community Education in Flint schools. As the lead agency the Crim develops partnerships to offer services and programs that are aligned to with the City of Flint Master Plan and the vision of our local schools.
Key Elements of Community Education
- Full-time Community School Director to coordinate resources in 12 area Flint schools.
- An open door policy. Community Schools offer programming to all individuals no matter where their residence is or where their student attends school
- Year-round programs for parents, youth, and community to take part in including:
- FREE Flint Community Sports Program
- YouthQuest after-school program
- Extended learning opportunities, with a focus on literacy
- Community gardens
- Community walking/running clubs
- Additional Social Services:
- Food pantry
- Clothing closet
- DHHS Workers
- Community Health Worker through Genesee Health Plan
- A focus to bring the assets of the neighborhood together:
- Monthly partnership meetings
- National Service members supporting program development and programming
- Meeting space for community use