Vision & Mission
At the Crim Fitness Foundation, we advocate for healthy communities through the work of the Crim-led coalition, Safe & Active Genesee for Everyone (SAGE), a collaborative of local advocates, non-profit, private and government organizations.
The Mission of SAGE is working together to advocate for and support active living initiatives that promote safe opportunities to be physically active throughout Genesee County.
Our Vision is a healthy Genesee County that provides equitable access to safe and inviting public spaces where people of all ages and abilities can easily integrate fun physical activity into their daily routine.
In 2017, the SAGE coalition will:
- Support the Crim in implementation of Safe Routes to School in all 11 Flint Community School buildings.
- Advocate for the City of Flint to adopt the Draft Zoning Code, which incorporates Complete Streets concepts.
- Complete sidewalk assessments for the City of Flint and Safe Routes to School projects.
- Host advocacy training for residents who want to build healthier communities.
- Connect residents with lawmakers to discuss active living policy.
- Educate community leaders and residents on the importance of parks and trails.
- Participate in Bicycle Advocacy Day at the Capitol.
- Host FREE weekly bicycle rides and incorporate bicycle education.
- Host a Complete Streets demonstration using the Better Block format.
Review the Policies We Support.
City of Flint – Planning
City of Flint – Parks
Commit to Fit/Greater Flint Health Coalition
Ballenger Highway Neighborhood Association
Berston Bicycle Club
Sylvester Broome Empowerment Village
Community Mental Health
Crim Safe Routes to School
Eastside Franklin Park Neighborhood Group
Fairfield Village Neighborhood Group
Flint’s Community Education Initiative
Flint Neighborhoods United
Flint River Corridor Alliance
Flint Urban Safety Corps
Friends of the Flint River Trail
Genesee County Health Department
Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission
Genesee County Parks
GSI Michigan Works
Habitat for Humanity
Hurley Medical Center
Mass Transportation Authority
Metawanenee Hills Neighborhood Association
MSU – Extension
MSU – Science of Human Medicine
National Kidney Foundation of Michigan
Neighborhood Engagement Hub
Recycle Bike Shop
UM- Flint Rec Center and Bike/Walk Work Group
UM-Flint Student Outreach
Valley Area Agency on Aging
Village of Goodrich
Types of SAGE Memberships:
- Active Members – Attend monthly SAGE general meetings.
- Committee Members – Attend regular SAGE committee meetings
- Supporting Partners – Organizations that provide technical support and resources to SAGE.
Why should you become a member of SAGE?
- Join a group who shares a vision for creating a more walkable and bikeable community and is taking action to make it happen!
- Be part of an information sharing network to learn about resources in the community and share what you are doing as well!
- Become part of a network that helps each other and draw on experts who can help you implement projects!
- There is power in collaborating as opposed to doing it on your own. Join a group that can help advocate for policy changes.
- Create lasting relationships with other organizations and individuals who can support each other!
What can SAGE offer you?
- Provide expertise in Active Living to help you create change in your community.
- Connect you with other partners and organizations leading Active Living initiatives across the county.
- Provide use of “Share the Road” (sharrow) pavement marking stencils.
- Help with advocacy efforts for complete streets in your community.
What members say about being on Sage:
- “Being a member of SAGE gives more credence to what I’m saying as an individual when I’m talking to people. It’s not just me. It’s a whole group. There’s a backing for this idea of active living.” ~ Marie Jones Watts, Community Member
- “It’s about what we can share. It’s about putting our heads together and saying we can work this out and make this thing happen. Plus it’s just fun.” ~ Nancy Edwards, Genesee County Park & Recreation.