Staying Safe presented by Hurley Medical Center.
Your HAP Virtual Crim starts with preparing your body for the heat and the workout you’re about to give it. Check out these guides to help you understand how your body responds to exercise, and how to keep it working in hot weather:
Here are a few basic tips to help you stay safe before, during and after your HAP Virtual Crim event:
- Practice social distancing with your friends and fellow Crimmers. It’s hard when you’re running or walking, but you do need to stay at least 6 feet away from each other at all times. Bring a mask to wear before/after your event, especially if you’re going to be in a group. Also, avoid gathering in numbers over 100, per the current State of Michigan orders.
- Plan your hydration and nutrition
- Bring water with you
- If you can, drive your route ahead of time and drop your hydration and nutrition at spots along your route.
Important: Be sure and get permission from the property owners, and clean up your trash afterwards
- If you’re driving to a start/finish location, pack enough food and water for after your event
- Tell friends and family when you’ll be doing your HAP Virtual Crim, what your route will be, and when they should expect you back.
- Choose a route that minimizes safety hazards. Factors to consider include traffic density & speed, availability of sidewalks or trails, quality of pavement or trails, level of isolation along the way, presence of loose/stray animals.
- Do your HAP Virtual Crim event with friends if you can. Not only is it a lot more fun to share the experience with others, it’s a great way to stay safer. We recommend limiting group sizes to 10 or smaller, to help maintain social distancing. Bring a phone or other communication device with you.