Don’t miss our upcoming FREE event, Champions for Change! Learn how to create positive, healthy change in your neighborhood. Meet and share stories with other residents, discuss policy change with municipal leaders and find out what resources can help you make your community safe, active and fun. Registration is required for a delicious free dinner provided by the Local Grocer!
Vision & Mission
At the Crim Fitness Foundation, we advocate for healthy communities through the work of the Crim-led coalition, Safe & Active Genesee for Everyone (SAGE), a collaborative of local advocates, non-profit, private and government organizations.
The Mission of SAGE is working together to advocate for and support active living initiatives that promote safe opportunities for people to be physically active throughout Genesee County.
Our Vision is a healthy Genesee County that provides safe and inviting public spaces where people of all ages and abilities can easily integrate fun physical activity into their daily routine.
In 2017, the SAGE coalition will:
- Support the Crim in implementation of Safe Routes to School in all 11 Flint Community School buildings.
- Advocate for the passage of the City of Flint Draft Zoning Code, which incorporates Complete Streets concepts.
- Complete a portion of sidewalk assessments for the City of Flint.
- Host a training for community leaders who want to learn about Complete Streets and other active living concepts.
- Connect residents with lawmakers.
- Educate community leaders and residents on the importance of parks and trails.
- Participate in Bicycle Advocacy Day at the Capitol.
- Host FREE weekly bicycle rides.
- Host bicycle education workshops.
- Partner to display a Complete Streets Art Installation and Community Input Project.
Review the Policies We Support.
Types of SAGE Memberships:
- Active Members – Attend monthly SAGE general meetings.
- Committee Members – Attend regular SAGE committee meetings (in addition to monthly meetings).
- Supporting Partners – Organizations that provide support or resources to SAGE.
Why should you become a member of SAGE?
- Join a group who shares a vision for creating a more walkable and bikeable community and is taking action to make it happen!
- Be part of an information sharing network to learn about resources in the community and share what you are doing as well!
- Become part of a network that helps each other and draw on experts who can help you implement projects!
- There is power in collaborating as opposed to doing it on your own. Join a group that can help advocate for policy changes.
- Create lasting relationships with other organizations and individuals who can support each other!
What can SAGE offer you?
- Provide expertise in Active Living to help you create change in your community.
- Connect you with other partners and organizations leading Active Living initiatives across the county.
- Provide use of “Share the Road” (sharrow) pavement marking stencils.
- Help with advocacy efforts for complete streets in your community.
What members say about being on Sage:
- “Being a member of SAGE gives more credence to what I’m saying as an individual when I’m talking to people. It’s not just me. It’s a whole group. There’s a backing for this idea of active living.” ~ Marie Jones Watts, Community Member
- “It’s about what we can share. It’s about putting our heads together and saying we can work this out and make this thing happen. Plus it’s just fun.” ~ Nancy Edwards, Genesee County Park & Recreation.
Sign Up for the SAGE Newsletter or view previous newsletters.