What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a healthy life practice that costs nothing, requires no special equipment or place or attire, reduces conflict and stress, improves academic learning and decision-making skills, and enhances overall quality of life.
Mindfulness is defined as…
… paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally.
… a way of thinking that enhances focus and clarity despite the pressures of a busy day.
Benefits of Mindfulness
Mindfulness is supported by more than 30 years of research and current neuroscience among adults. There is a growing literature with youth. Mindfulness is shown to:
- support improved self regulation
- compassionate attitudes and behavior
- decrease stress, anxiety and depression
- support better focus and concentration
The Crim Mindfulness Initiative, presented by HAP, began in 2012 and has evolved over the years to include national partner organizations providing comprehensive programming to students in the Flint Community Schools. Gain a better understanding of the Crim Fitness Foundation’s Mindfulness Initiative by watching the videos below.
- An Evening with Jon Kabat-Zinn – Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016
- Crim Mindfulness Initiative Helps Flint Families – Tuesday, May 24, 2016
- Potter Elementary Reflects on Mindfulness – Thursday, Dec. 4, 2014
- Mindful Magazine – The Lead Crisis in Flint: Where Mindfulness and Public Health Meet
- MLive – National organizations to provide mindfulness training in Flint schools