What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a healthy life practice that costs nothing, requires no special equipment or place or attire, reduces conflict and stress, improves academic learning and decision-making skills, and enhances overall quality of life.
Mindfulness is defined as…
… paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally.
… a way of thinking that enhances focus and clarity despite the pressures of a busy day.
Benefits of Mindfulness
Mindfulness has been linked to a great variety of positive health benefits. Take a look at the list of benefits that have been attributed to mindfulness:
- Increased academic performance
- Improved relationships
- Improved classroom behavior
- Increased attention span and focus
- Reduced blood pressure among adults
- Improved social emotional skills
- Reduced likelihood of juvenile crime
- Increased compassion
- Reduced anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Reduction in hyperactivity
For a deeper look at the benefits of mindfulness and for materials you can use at home with your children, visit our resources page.
The Crim Mindfulness Initiative, presented by HAP, began in 2012 and has evolved over the years to include national partner organizations providing comprehensive programming to students in the Flint Community Schools. Gain a better understanding of the Crim Fitness Foundation’s Mindfulness Initiative by watching the videos below.
- An Evening with Jon Kabat-Zinn – Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016
- Crim Mindfulness Initiative Helps Flint Families – Tuesday, May 24, 2016
- Potter Elementary Reflects on Mindfulness – Thursday, Dec. 4, 2014