Source: Zingerman’s Guide to Good Eating
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 5 large tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- 2. Sauté the onion and carrot for 2-3 minutes.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium and cover for 25 minutes, until soft and golden.
- 4. Add garlic, stir well, and cover 5 more minutes.
- 5. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, bringing to a boil.
- 6. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
- 7. Put sauce through a food processor.
- 8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9. Sauce can be refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for 3 months.